Monday, April 16, 2012

Million Dollar Deer

This photo of a domesticated whitetail deer has been circulating the hunting community for some time now.  The price of this buck is a whopping one million dollars...no joke.  Now I am definitely not a trophy hunter, but I can agree that these antlers are impressive.  Yet there is a huge problem with this deer, and it should have been noticed in the first sentence, domesticated.  A closer look at this picture will show an ear tag on the deer and a fence in the background.  


Any hunter who loves deer and deer hunting would consider this situation to be a problem.  It's important to note that this form of hunting is not how majority of hunters hunt, in fact this type of hunting pertains to the super rich and the average hunter will never see something like this.  Unknown to most people, whitetail deer are a cherished symbol of our nation's wild lands and big game hunting.  The fact that this deer is behind a closed fence and has antlers of this size has absolutely nothing to do with either of those things.  This deer is incapable of living a normal life, due to captivity and tinkering with genetic lines.  While anyone is free to do this sort of thing with their money and their land, "this buck has about as much to do with real American hunting as a Transformer has to do with your pickup truck."-Steven Rinella.


3 comments:

  1. Maybe the deer has been kept into captivity because of its reduced numbers and deforestation. You speak of the love of hunting and I do agree with the hunting for food but when hunting is set as an award and with no thought as to mother nature or the preservation of the species, that is when I find hunting annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you 100%, I am not a fan of trophy hunting.

      Delete
  2. So these type of unique deers are being bred just to be sold? Or do they get hunted in a sort of wilderness imitation setting?

    What is meant by the quote at the end: that the definitions have been stretched to the point that they are outside of the context? A transformer does have a lot to do with a truck though--- for truck fanatics, transformers are an exciting thought worth pursuing/being involved in if possible... I think you need to comment on the quote.

    ReplyDelete