Monday, April 9, 2012


96 Year Old Man Bags Limit

Bearded Turkey
Turkey season opened just over a week ago and Bill Tanner, 96, of Mississippi isn't allowed to hunt anymore; this is because he's already shot his limit.  Last Thursday Bill shot his third and final turkey for this season, about a week after his birthday.  The spring turkey season begins on the last Saturday in March and extends for 37 consecutive days.  Hunters are only allowed 1 bearded turkey per day and 3 per season.   Hunting means different things to different people, and for Bill hunting was more than a sport or hobby, it was a life style.


I was listening to 740am radio this morning while driving into the city trying to avoid the traffic.  Between the traffic reports Bill's story was a topic of interest, and I'm extremely glad I got the chance to hear it.  Bill started hunting when he was eight years old; his dad let him take a .410 shotgun and hunt squirrels.  By hunting and selling dressed squirrels for 15 cents each he was able to save up $4 to buy his first shotgun, a 12 gauge Southern Arms 32inch.  For 88 years Bill has been hunting, this means he was hunting before there was wildlife management, this man has seen it all.  Bill was even hunting before there was camo clothing to hunt in, "Tanner is a walking, talking history of hunting in Mississippi."  Today Bill enjoys every opening day with his grandson and great grandson, who is 8, and shares his love with hunting. Like Bill I hope that I can share my love for hunting with my children and grandchildren.  I'd even settle for enjoying hunting for another 88 years just like Bill; unlikely since I'll be 25 next month but what the hell. 

Mr. Tanner, 96.




1 comment:

  1. i was not aware that there was a shooting limit in Mississippi but I do think its a good thing making sure people don't get crazy or carried away with over killing of a specie.

    ReplyDelete